The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has the ability to nominate ten films for best picture in any given year. In the 1930’s and 1940’s eight to twelve films were nominated, but in the 1950’s there was a conscious decision to limit it to five. In 2009 that rule changed, allowing ten films to be nominated. This has helped films that can’t afford to lobby the Academy members to be on the ballot for the top prize. Ever since that change ten films indeed were nominated each year up until 2013. This year’s crop consists of only nine.
The Academy has also evolved the category name several times outlined below.
- 1927/28 — 1928/29: Academy Award for Outstanding Picture
- 1929/30 — 1940: Academy Award for Outstanding Production
- 1941 — 1943: Academy Award for Outstanding Motion Picture
- 1944 — 1961: Academy Award for Best Motion Picture
- 1962 — present: Academy Award for Best Picture
Which one of the nine nominated films was your favorite? I’m not asking you to try and predict which film may win. Which one did you enjoy most?
Was your favorite not on the nominated list? Let me know what it was and why.