THIS ROLE WAS FILLED ON JUNE 13, 2014
I’ve recently changed roles at Discover and am working on building out my digital team. There’s already a solid group of professionals in place shaping a best-in-class banking platform, but we are rapidly growing and I need more help.
This is a Senior Manager role with three direct reports, reporting to the Director which would be yours truly. I have worked at Discover for almost 15 years. We have a terrific culture and are recognized as one of the best run financial services companies in the country. We have a great credit quality portfolio, are well capitalized with strong profit and stock performance (NYSE:DFS).
We are located in Riverwoods, Illinois, just north of O’Hare airport and have a Chicago city satellite office.
- This position leads a team responsible for developing and enhancing a best-in-class banking web interface for Discover Deposit products. This person will work closely with a peer to drive the current and future state of the user interface across all digital platforms. It is critical for this person to steer and coordinate cross-functional groups that include Product Teams, Marketing, Business Technology and multiple external agencies to create and deliver innovative, simple, highly functional and aesthetically pleasing interfaces based on user-centered design principles. This person should be keenly aware and passionate about emerging design and usability trends across web, mobile and tablet, as well as the evolving digital payments ecosystem.
- The Digital Experience team’s primary role is to understand business requirements and goals, and then work with external agencies to develop wireframes and design comps that will deliver the business results with a superior customer experience.
- The Senior Manager must be analytics focused and able to leverage web tracking to inform design and enhance functionality already in production. It is important to be able to weigh quantitative and qualitative data before design begins.
- Time to market is critical. The candidate must be comfortable operating in an agile development environment and make strong judgment calls based on the information and alternative scenarios.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Specialization in human-computer interaction, graphic design, product design or interaction design is a plus
- 7-10 years leadership experience in user-centered design, usability and development, preferably with a Fortune 500 company or leading digital firm
- Seen as a thought-leader in creating best-in-class digital customer experiences for full site, mobile and tablet interfaces
- Experience leading and/or observing user research and usability testing and translating insights into design decisions
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross functional teams in the development of scenarios, workflows, site architectures, interactions notes, wireframes and designs
- Experience in developing processes to manage complex activities
- Demonstrated ability to translate business requirements into meaningful interactive experiences
- Ability to effectively prioritize project requests based on clear methodology
- Strong analytic skills and experience with web site behavior tagging and tracking
- Effective communicator and comfortable with presenting to senior managers
- Lean Six Sigma would be a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
If you’re qualified and want to work for a highly respected company you can apply here.